Is it dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it dead?

I have recently bought a U2 USB programmer to upload code that has been provided to me.

I have succesfully updated several chips (all 16F886) with it, but when I try to update some more, with the same code that worked previously, I get the message "Lost communication with programmer"

Can anyone help me with this error message.

I am not a programmer just a computer tech who is updating some chips.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The Lost communication message usually results from drawing too much current from the VDD pin (pin 4 of the 10-pin header).

How are you programming them?
    In an melabs ZIF programming adapter, or in-circuit on a PCB?
    PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
    Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

As per phone call with Darrel, we powered the chip being programmed from pin 1 instead of pin 4 and it now works as intended and I have flashed most of the chips I need to. 1 still fails with the error message "Target device does not match selected device"

The chip is in circut on a board and we have programmed this before with no problem, however these are newer boards.

Andy

Comment

If you go to Program > Get Target Information (Ctrl-I) in the meProg programmer software, it should show the DeviceID from the PIC.

If it shows 0000, 3FFF or FFFF then something is probably wrong with the ICSP connections or power supply.
        Keep checking for a DeviceID while troubleshooting for a faster resolution.

An oscilloscope is handy to determine if the ICSP pins are getting signal.
        PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
        Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

Working...
        X