Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Program PIC16LF1507 with U2 programmers

Hi--

I can't program a PIC16LF1507 chip with any of my three U2 programmers. I have successfully programmed the PIC16F1507 chip in the past, but I don't have any of those to try right now to see if something has changed. I am able to program a PIC18F4520, so I'm not at all sure what to look at now to solve this problem.

When I try to program from a successful compile in PBP3, MeProg 4.5 (and 4.5.1 Beta) starts up normally. MeProg displays the correct hex file and it gives me the "Target ID does not match" error. If I do a Get Target Information, it returns 3FFF. However, if I do a Determine Target, it goes through its gyrations and then says "Found PIC16LF1507!". If I didn't have a hex file loaded and a different processor was selected, it will populate the processor box with PIC16LF1507.

Even if I now do a Get Target Info immediately after doing the successful Determine Target, it still says no match and returns 3FFF.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I noticed the PIC16F1507.INFO file has _LVP_ switches in it, but the LF1507.INFO file does not. Could there possibly be an error in the MeProg files...?

What else should I try? I have a target board build around the LF1507, and I'm totally dead in the water for making any this weekend until I get this programming issue sorted out... Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks--

Alan McF.

Hi Alan,

Do you have any capacitors in your reset circuit on MCLR?

Or are there any other components on the ICSP pins?
    PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
    Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

Hi Darrel--

No, I have tried this on two target boards; one is loaded with a bypass cap, MOSFET and pullup resistor (6.8K) on MCLR but nothing else, and the other target board I tested is just the PIC on a bare PCB with a programming header for connecting ICSP. Neither target board has anything on the ICSP pins.

Thanks--

--Alan

Comment

Hi Darrel--

OK, I have confirmed that I am able to program a PIC16F1507 on a bare target board, but when I change the device to PIC16LF1507, it says the device identity does not match (3FFF) and it won't program it. But it will still determine it correctly.

I also tried unchecking "Verify Target Device ID", and it programmed as expected, but it would not verify, returning a configuration failure at 0000.

Could this inability to program this IC be related to the MeLabs files for the LF1507? I did notice the LVP switch is missing from the .INFO file, could there be a problem somewhere that is inhibiting my programming?

Thanks--

--alanmcf

Comment

The LF1507 will have problems if Vdd level is above 3.6V. If you power your board from pin-1 of the U2 programming header, this will supply 5V. Would you verify that the PIC is receiving the proper Vdd?

There is a chance that a problem exists in our file, but I believe the omission of LVP is correct. I will check this shortly. The configuration setting isn't in play when reading the target id on a new chip.
          Charles Leo
          ME Labs, Inc.
          http://melabs.com

Comment

In the lastest release of PBP (3.0.6), both the 16F1507 and the 16LF1507 have identical configuration defaults and both include a setting for _LVP_OFF. You might want to update your PBP3 by downloading from http://pbp3.com/downloads.

If the 16LF1507 was programmed once with the LVP enabled, it is possible this could affect subsequent programming cycles. This should not affect new, never-before-programmed parts, though.
            Charles Leo
            ME Labs, Inc.
            http://melabs.com

Comment

Working...
            X