Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serial number programing to a 18f67k22 fail on USB U2 programmer

Hi darrel ,
    cant seem to be able to program a serial number into 18f67k22 for user ID ( device id 5185)

MeProg labs programmer 4.51beta
    firmware 5.9
    starting address is 200000h , 4 locations
    i am hoping it not a chip issue with the USER ID area !!

regards

Sheldon

What do you mean by "cant seem to be able to program a serial number into 18f67k22 for user ID"

Do you get error messages?
    Does it just not end up with a number in the ID?
    Do you get a number but it's wrong?
    Does the chip burst into flames?
    How did you attempt to do it?

Did your Serial Number dialog look like this ...

Do your programming options look like this ...

PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
    Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

hi darrel ,
      yes i get error msg when it does the verify of the user id on all 4 locations , have attached screen shots.

cheers

sheldon
      Attached Files

Comment

hi darrel , have a raised a ticket with microchip to see if its a silicon issue , but none is mentioned in the current errata for the 18f87k22 family.

further searching has found 1 post by another about 12 months ago that uses the ICE programer complaining of the same issue ,but it was not resolved

cheers

sheldon

Comment

i think ill put this down to a chip issue rather than the u2 programmer darrel

ill change the chip out and see

cheers

Sheldon

Comment

yes i installed 5 other chips and only 1 would not write the user id correctly , all are the same silicon rev so i can only put the problem down to a 1 faulty chip

Comment

have found that the 18f67k22 has word for each location not a byte , as such the serial number uses only the lower byte of each location for the serial number which is bit of waist.

the "add a prefix byte" option - uses the upper byte of the word for each location,

but the option to use a word or byte per location for the serial would be worth while option to be added to the programmer software.

i have found also that so far you cant re write the user id after its been done once for the 18f67k22 ,even if 0000 were written to the user ID

As such verification fails on user id when the chip is reprogrammed , with an incremented serial number.

so further investigations with microchip will continue , so may not be a one faulty chip as first thought

Comment

Microchip confirm that the chip is ok for write and read to the user id

Darrel confirms that the erase of the user id on the 18f67k22 is not working on the U2 programer , using a current rev of software / firmware , and a ticket has been done to look into it further

DT

Confirmed!

The USER ID area is not getting erased, no matter what options are set.

I've put in a request to have it looked at.

Comment

DT , is there any indication when this may be looked at for a fix to the serial number for the 18f67k22

regards

Sheldon

Comment

I don't think it will be anytime soon, since it was reported 1 day after we received the files for the 4.52 update, which has not finished testing and been released yet.

It may be in 4.53.

You might want to put the serial number in flash memory instead of the USERID area.

Comment

i did not think that the U2 programer could add the serial number directly to
                      EEPRom area , if it can what is the address i would need to write 2?

Comment

Sure, you can store it anywhere you want.

This table is from the meProg help file.

Code:
                        Device Type	Code		Data EEPROM	ID
                        		Address		Address		Address
                        12-bit core	0-1FF		none		200-203
                        		0-3FF		none		400-403
                        		0-7FF		none		800-803
                        14-bit core	0-1FFF		2100-21FF	2000-2003
                        14-bit enhanced	0-7FFF		F000-F3FF	8000-8003
                        17Cxxx		0-3FFF		none		none
                        18Xxxxx		0-1FFFF		F00000-F003FF	200000-200007
                        24FJxxx		0-157FE		none		none
                        24HJxxxx	0-2ABFE		none		F80010-F80016
                        30Fxxxx		0-17FFE		7FF000-7FFFFE	none
                        33FJxxxx	0-2ABFE		none		F80010-F80016
                        So for an 18F, EEPROM starts at F00000.
                        Just change the address in the Serial Number Dialog, and it ends up in EEPROM instead of the User ID.

It's a lot easier to read that way too.

Comment

THANKS DARREL , yep it works great

btw i have not found a 14 core enhanced yet that has 1024 bytes EEprom
                          ( 14-bit enhanced 0-7FFF F000-F3FF 8000-8003)
                          but when there is it is going to have that address range i am sure

whats this HEF meaning , in microchip listing now for EEprom details on the 14 core , that new ??,

Comment

HEF = High Endurance Flash

HEF can be written to more times than the normal Program Flash memory.
                            On chips that don't have EEPROM, it can be used for infrequent data storage.

Comment

Working...
                            X