No announcement yet.

meCONFIG minor issue (or bad behavior)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• meCONFIG minor issue (or bad behavior)

When I open up meconfig it opens up showing the last PIC I had selected but there is nothing showing in the left pane and no way to get it to show anything unless I re-select the pic above (even though it is allready showing above)

Probably would be better to have it start up with the microcontroller field blank.

dwight

Well, that's refreshing!
    The first issue reported wasn't that it crashed their computer!

Thanks Dwight.

But actually that "behavior" was by design.
    I realize there's no help file to explain things, but the MCU Drop-Down is a little more functional than you might expect.

When the program first starts-up, it will have the last used MCU shown.
    All you have to do is click in the text area of the drop-down, and press enter to select that device.

It's a lot easier than scrolling through over 500 PIC's to find the same one you used last time.

PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
    Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

Option for Installation

Hi Darrel.

I think an option to choose where to install the program would be nice.

For example, I have an SSD disk as C:\ and a RAID array as D:\ and preffer to install all programs on D.

Ioannis

Comment

Hi Ioannis,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Since Windows Vista, the Program Files (or Program Files (x86)) folders are protected.
        Other programs do not have access to the sub-folders, which protects programs from malicious changes by hackers.

By installing programs somewhere other than under Program Files, you are bypassing that level of security.
        You should be conscious of that fact when installing programs in other locations.

I can understand the desire to not fill up an SSD, but I don't want to create security loopholes were they aren't needed.

meCONFIG uses only 10MB (about the same as 2 music tracks).
        There's no risk of filling up even the smallest of SSD's.
        PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
        Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

Good point. Never thought it that way.

Of course it is not a big code, but my concern was to not wear out the SSD.

All good then.
          And thanks for the great piece of code as always.

Ioannis

Comment

Working...
          X