No announcement yet.

What IDE and compiler would I choose, and why?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What IDE and compiler would I choose, and why?

This is going to be a bit long as I wanted to cover all the obvious questions before they arise, give a rationale to some of my thinking, and prove I've done my groundwork! If time is short, skip down to the tl;dr section to get to the meat. The banner above also says this looks like a subjective post, so I'm going to expand the post a bit to narrow down exactly what it is I want to achieve.

I've had a really good look around stackexchange and there are similar-ish questions to mine, and I found the question Starting out PIC Programming useful but most were asked and answered before the new release of MPLAB X which is now based around the open source NetBeans IDE which is quite a change, so might tilt the balance.

Background: I bought an Arduino recently and having never done MCU fiddling before, and my programming knowledge limited to PHP, I was quite pleased with the results.

There's a few "fun" things I want to do to start with to get going before the
    PIC16F690-E/ML,Microchip Technology,20-VFQFN Exposed Pad,Embedded - Microcontrollers,PIC16F690-E/ML Datasheet PDF

My suggestion is to go with the current offerings:

The MPLABX is a free download, the PBP3.1 is not. However, this brings you up to date, allowing you to work with anything in the 8-bit Microchip PIC line.
    We can crack this cotton PIC'n thang!