MCS wishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCS wishes

i am liking using MCS for the projects i am working on in PBP3 but there are a few things that are lacking, some sorely

there is no Find in the reverse direction and when you hit the bottom it does not offer to wrap around to the top, this means that for many tasks i always need to jump to the top before i start, very annoying

as a minimum Shift-F3 should go backwards like most programs

i think Find should have an option to not include text within comments, sometimes i want to include that sometimes not

i wish there was a way to indent a block in column mode (i.e. a block of comments after code) or maybe an align comments command
    or maybe comments shouldn't get nudged when code lines get longer until you hit them, it takes to much time cleaning up the ragged right side manually this is what computers are for

re Include files
    i thought i was being very clever and put a bunch of pin aliases in an Include file, a few months later after not looking at the project for a while i was trying to debug something and could not see the aliases which i knew to exist in the Code Explorer

this means i could not jump to them or inspect the spelling and so on, it seems to me that since they are 'live' and are essentially inline they should be included in the Code Explorer too, now i think i will paste them back into the body of the program which is a bit of a shame

i have a bunch more but will leave those for later if there is any interest or point to putting them here
    The MCS is a great asset i would be wonderful to see it further improved

There is an edit toolbar under view for the comment block and indent.

Open the include file in another tab to view but do not compile.

The find dialog has an up or down option.

Comment

Originally posted by mackrackit View Post
      There is an edit toolbar under view for the comment block and indent.

Open the include file in another tab to view but do not compile.

The find dialog has an up or down option.
      Hi, thanks for your reply

yes i know about the block comment, what i was wishing for was a way to push the comments which follow live code as a block, in Ultraedit they call that column mode

another point: for the current implementation of block comment is that it does not support the semicolon, i have a bunch of stuff i would like to uncomment but it does not work because i was using semicolons

what i was saying about the Include files is that the variables in an include file do not show in the Code explorer of the main program but the main program depends on those variables so i have pretty much starting pasting everything back into the main program instead of using Include files for chunks of code

yes i do know about the up down option in Find but it takes too many keystrokes compared to just wrapping around or supporting Shift-F3 to go backwards, for example it is common to jump back and forth between two things

don't get me wrong, after using only Ultraedit to write PBP for many years i am finding MCS a wonderful tool and very helpful, i really like it, it would just be nice to see some further improvements and development

a few more examples that would be really helpful would be:
      Bookmarks
      they could be stored in an external file or the registry (the latter is what Ultraedit does), you would need to be able to jump forward and backward between them,
      this would speed up writing a whole bunch

when you click on a variable in the Code Explorer i want some way to jump back to where i just was, now i have to claw my way back and hope i found the right spot

Comment

Not trying to hijack your thread but here are my two wishes (which I've mentioned many many times over the years):
        * Code folding.
        * Support for hardware debugging (PICKit2/3 etc)

/Henrik.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik Olsson View Post
          Not trying to hijack your thread but here are my two wishes (which I've mentioned many many times over the years):
          * Code folding.
          * Support for hardware debugging (PICKit2/3 etc)
          /Henrik.
          Hi Henrik, please feel free to hijack and expand

what is code folding ?
          agree about hardware debug but assuming that that is a major undertaking and
          assuming that a few tweaks to the user interface is not major and therefore possibly more likely to occur i would take those first

re the Find feature, it is starting to annoy me even more, the number of keystrokes is very high to operate it
          i was going comment that the Not Found dialog could not be dismissed by the Escape key and required the mouse but before i wrote that i went to test a little bit and here and now it does dismiss with the Escape key
          but my recollection is quite clear that it was not so

at the moment i am on a different machine, XP, the recollection was yesterday on a Win7 machine, is that possible ?

Comment

Hi Dennis,
            Code folding is when sections of code gets grouped together and can then by colpased/expanded with a little +/- sign in the left gutter of the editor. You can group section manually or, as is usually the case, the IDE Groups it automatically for you based on certain start/stop "keywords".

For example, a label will "start" a group and a RETURN will end it. An IF will start a group and the ENDIF will end it. A WHILE will start a group, a WEND will end it.

If you Google code folding you'll find several examples of what it might look like.

There used to be an IDE for PBP, called FineLine, that kind of did it but the links seem to be dead now.

And you're right, support for hardware debugging probably is a major undertaking but it really would be nice to have it in MCSP instead of being forced to use MPLABX (which I still haven't been able to get going).

As for the search feature. Whenever the Not Found dialog pops up, just dismiss it with the enter key - not escape. Unfortunately it then sets the focus on the main editor window instead of putting it back on the search dialog. I don't use it that often but I agree that some spit and polish could and would help speed things up. Making it wrap around when hitting the end for example - should be quite easy to do.

The IDE (MCSP) is still being developed by a 3rd party (Mecanique) so I'm not really sure how much MELABS have to say about what gets added and fixed. Except if they specifically payed Mecanique to do it of course. Obviously I don't have any insight in the arangement between the two though!

/Henrik.

/Henrik.

Comment

I did verify that Win XP and Win7 handle the Not Found dialog quite differently from each other
              in fact i think it is a different dialog maybe
              XP will Escape or Enter and returns to the Find menu

If you don't use find much how do you navigate around and find where variables are operative ?

after i asked i sort of guessed what the code folding was, thanks for explaining, in fact it is (or could be) a bit broader than i had speculated (IF's labels, etc.)

Comment

Hi Dennis,
                Yes, on my Win7 machine only the Enter key dismisses the Not Found dialog. Pressing it sets focus on the main editor window instead of back on the search dialog box.

On my XP machine the Not Found dialog can be dismissed with either the Enter key or the Escape key (both work) and focus is returned to the search dialog box which, IMHO, is the correct behaviour.

Now, on my XP machine I'm running v3.0.0.5 while on the W7 machine I'm running 5.0.0.3 of MicroCode Studio.

I AM of course USING the find feature from time to time but I, apparently, just don't have the need to use it often enough to be annoyed by the it's features and lack thereof.

You can click on a variable in the Code Explorer window and the cursor will jump to where that variable is declared. It would be cool if there would be some kind of back/forth buttons popping up (or a context menu or whatever) that would then allow you to jump to the next place where that variable is used.

/Henrik.

Comment

yes that behavior you describe about jumping from the declaration back to where you were is something i have wished for too

re XP / Win7 my MCS is the latest version on both so it must be stock Windows dialog that is handled differently between the two OS's

this article is somewhat relevant, it seems the fact that it is a modal dialog is involved

Comment

Working...
                  X