Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MicroCode Studio issues.

Hi,
    This has been brought up numerous times, both here and on the user forum. It's been two years since this thread started, yet I'm still seeing the bloody thing (excuse the frustration) crashing ever so often. Like at least 10 times in the last two days. Is ANYTHING what so ever being done to actively find the issue and FIX it or is MCSP no longer being maintained?

Another thing, while on the subject of maintaining MCSP.
    With PBP came the addition of conditional compilation, wonderful! Now I can do thing like
    Code:
    #IF UART=1
      TX_PIN VAR PORTC.6
    #ENDIF

#IF UART=2
      TX_PIN VAR PORTB.6
    #ENDIF
    But MicroCodeStudio isn't aware of the conditionals and flags the TX_PIN alias declaration as duplicates. It's not a showstopper, the code compiles but I'm getting a lot of red crossed in the right hand gutter.

/Henrik.

Henrik, I have NOT had a crash of MCSPX since purchased about 4 or so years ago. If you look at the bottom of the screen when launching it you will see it goes out and looks for updates. If your computer is crashing that many times, it sounds like there is some other problem. I have 2 licenses and have PBP and MCSPX loaded on 4 totally different computers and have NEVER had a crash. 2 of the systems run XP and 2 run Win7/8. Maybe you should leave David Barker an email at the support address of the Mecanique web site. David has helped me through the years with the latest boot loader and has made some changes to it per our conversations.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Comment

Hi David, thanks for responding!

I currently have it installed on two computers, one is running the payed version the other one the free version. Both computers are Windows 7, one English, one Swedish and it crashes now and then on both of them. Most of the time on my stationary machine but that's because it's where I run it 95% of the time.

And, as I've said many times before, it's not like it's isolated to my computer(s).
      If you look at the thread I linked you'll see that Darrel, Richard, BigWumpus, Norton and me have had it crash and here's another thread where users BrianT and Dick Ivers also has (reported) the same issue so that's at least 7 people. At that time my "other" machine apparently hadn't crashed yet but it has done so since then. I'm sure many others have had it happen as well. Have you checked Control Panel->Action Center->Archived Messages? Apparently Darrel did and found it had crashed on him multiple times but he didn't remember it.

And to be clear, it's not my computer that crashes, it's MicroCodeStudio and the error message can be seen in the other thread. It's only MCSP that's doing this.

So I mean, sure, it can be "something else" on all of our computers that's causing it but in my case MCSP is pretty much the ONLY program EVER to crash and it can do it 10 times in an hour and then run fine for two days. It's got to be something that "triggers" it but I've yet to figure that out. I even have video footage of it crashing and have done screen captures.

And as far as Mecanique and David John Barker goes... He HAS commented in the other thread on this forum.
      He's been given numerous error reports with all the details Windows provides but apparently that doesn't help. I won't say he's not "interested" but until someone else finds the cause and points him to the problem he apparently can't do anything.

/Henrik.

Comment

Well I don't know what else to say.. I use PBP here at work 8 hours a day and for my self the rest of the time. Maybe it has to do with MPLABX or something.
        Dave Purola,
        N8NTA
        EN82fn

Comment

I have experienced an occasional lock-up in MCSX, but no more frequently than in MS Office or Windows in general. A person that I work closely with has experienced the problem, but he doesn't care to pursue it because he doesn't use PBP often and is comfortable in MPLAB. We're both using modern machines with Win7 Pro.

The only thing I can offer is conjecture that MCS(P)X is affected by something else installed on the system. This makes it very difficult for David Barker to reproduce and find the problem. I don't think he is actively pursuing it, as no new information has surfaced and it is not a widespread issue. The problem is not being reported to me via support email or telephone.

At one time, we had a similar situation with the PBPX executable. The affected user (Darrel Taylor, before he worked for melabs - what are the odds?) was willing to ship the problem computer to our developer, who then installed his development software on the machine and was able to debug and solve the issue. Seems extreme, but it worked in that instance. I'm not sure that it would be feasible with MCSX, which is developed in Delphi. I'm told that the Embarcadero development system can be quite painful to install, especially if there are third-party modules in play.

Henrik, have you experimented at all with the Windows system configuration, disabling different programs and services on startup? Does the lockup happen reliably enough to make such an effort meaningful? Are you running anything out of the ordinary, like display or drive enhancement, registry cleaner/protection, security software that is unusually aggressive? Any development systems that run services in the background? A new clue that could be passed to Mecanique might help spur some movement.
          Charles Leo
          ME Labs, Inc.
          http://melabs.com

Comment

Thanks Charles,
            I have a personl PBP license and licens for MCSPX, that's what's installed on my stationary machine at home Win7 Home, Swedish. At work I have (Another license) for PBP and I'm using the free version of MCSX on that machine Win7 Pro, English.

My home machine has all sorts of software but nothing really "weird". It's Office, Sketchup, CadSoft EAGLE, Pinnacle Studio, some instrument automation stuff, VisualStudio etc.

The laptop at work is even "cleaner" but some of the programs are on both and I'm running the same Antivirus software on both Machines and that's Avast.

I've tried HARD to figure out a series of events that makes it happen but since yesterday I'm quite convinced it's totally random because yesterday I know exactly what I did when it crashed. I simply copy/pasted part of a line to Another Place and between me hitting CTRL+C and CTRL+V it crashed. I then tried to reproduce it by doing the exact same thing again but it did not crash.

At this time I can see when it's about to happen though as the Explorer window on the left hand side of the screen is partly or completely blanked out and then, less than a second later it crashes. I don't know if that helps. I can send video footage of it happening if needed.

But it is weird because sometimes I can run it for hours or days without it crashing while other times, like in the last two days, it's crashing all the time.

I'm not running any other especially "weird" software at the same time, Internet Explorer and Adobe Reader, the serial terminal is open most of time.

I don't run any register optimization software or any other "perfomrance enhancement stuff". I am running a 3 monitor setup where the 3rd monitor is on a USB-to-DVI adapter but that's a quite rescent addition and I'm not doing that at work where I also have had the problem. 99% of the time I spend with PBP is at home though.

I think that enough people have reported the issue, including Darrel, yourself and your friend, to say that there IS an issue. If you want me to call it in I can do that ;-)

I totally understand that it's hard to find if you can't make it happen and it's likely to be some incompatibillity with something else but still, it's MCSPX that's crashing hard - alot. Nothing else even comes close.

/Henrik.

Comment

Understand that I, personally, can do nothing but refer you to David at Mecanique. He is the only person who has the access and knowledge that might have a chance to find the problem. You should contact him directly and establish ongoing communication concerning the problem. I'm just a user of MCSX with a bit of influence over design decisions. Working directly with David will be much easier for both of you, especially considering your respective time zones.

The problem Darrel encountered was not related to this issue and the crashes I experienced don't qualify as persistent or even recurring. As I said, I see the same frequency of problems in other software. Some, like Internet Explorer, are infinitely worse. I attribute the crashes I've experienced to my bad habit of leaving MCSX open for weeks at a time. If I shut it down and restart it every few days, it doesn't crash. I know of one other person who experienced the problem in addition to the three reported on this forum (Henrik, BigWumpus and Norton).

I accept that the problem exists. It's just that it's the type of problem that is extremely difficult to reproduce. Your best hope is to establish a relationship with Mecanique and take an active role in helping David search for the problem, using one of your machines as the test bed.

I haven't kept statistics, but a lot of the support issues I've helped resolve have been caused by anti-virus software. My perception, developed through the years, places Avast as the second most problematic product behind Kaspersky. Microsoft Security Essentials is the least problematic, but admittedly is not as effective as Avast. Have you considered switching one of your machines to AVG or Security Essentials, just long enough to get test results?

My brain also flagged your USB-to-DVI adapter as significant, while conceding to your logic that it only exists on one machine. I've seen a lot of crazy behavior that was due to display systems, with no apparent connection. I rotated a second monitor into portrait mode once, then discovered that Intuit's QuickBooks wouldn't start. It defied all logic, but I turned the monitor back and all was well.
              Charles Leo
              ME Labs, Inc.
              http://melabs.com

Comment

Thanks Charles,
                It's most likely not the USB-to-DVI adapter since that's been added to my system (and only one of them) in the last 6-7 month and MCSPX has been crashing on me for years, see the other thread for when it was first reported. (But the 3rd monitor IS in portrait mode...)

Avast it could be(!). I've run that during the whole time, but I wonder if the other users experiencing the problem is running it as well.

And, just to be clear, when I was refering to Darrel I wasn't talking about the issues you mention, when he shipped his computer to you (if that's what you were refering to). I was refering to when he had MCSPX crash multiple times (but did not remember it doing so). Then he "connected it" to NVIDIA drivers but we don't really know do we?

I understand you're not the authour of MCSPX and you're not to blame and that's never been my intention. I'm just so freakin frustrated that MCSPX crashes all the time and to use PBP3 in MPLABX you must be some sort of uberhacker. And, to be perfectly honest I was hoping that if the problem was actually acknowledged or confirmed as being a problem you of anyone could persuade Mecanique to actually look into it.

Well, I guess I just have to keep living with it. Perhaps one day I find the culprit - or not.

Could you possibly talk Mecanique / David into fixing the "duplicate flags" issue? That's as repeatable as it can be.

/Henrik.

Comment

Henrik,

You might try turning off the Code Explorer pane and see if that does anything to make it more reliable.
                  It's not a long-term fix (since that's a pretty handy feature), but it might help in narrowing things down.

Comment

Working...
                  X