18FxxQ43 support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18FxxQ43 support

when is this series of chips to be supported in PBP ?

I actually learned how to use that dreaded MPLABX with XC8 so I could take advantage of the newer PICs not yet supported by PBP; including the PIC18F27Q43.
    We can crack this cotton PIC'n thang!

Comment

oh wow , ok mike , i not played with xc8 ,
      but q43 series which has the greater sram memory and 2 spi ports , which the k40 does not have both
      5 usart ports may be handy ,
      i think it will be my new goto chip for projects ,
      sad it not got a larger pin count options of 64,80 ,
      also the cost of this chip is below that of the 18f47k40 , k42 series in in australia currently
      pehaps dt_ints-18 may be updated to support q43 series ( tumbleweed ?) as well

Comment

Until PBP supports the Q43 there is no reason to update dt_ints. Furthermore, I found it's simpler just to modify dt_ints for the specific PIC I'm using. This means I have a couple versions that only work on a single PIC family.

Comment

mike after i get my samples i requested from microchip , and get xc8 running see if i can view the changes for the q43 chip set

not sure where charles is at with any updates planned for pbp for the support , maybe he let us all know what on the next support list for chips

Comment

The Q43 is significantly different from all previous PIC18 chips in its memory layout, so don't hold your breath.

Comment

mmm ok tumbleweed

Mike have you made use of the dma aspects for the chip ,
              dma interrupts , the interrupt handling
              and use of the dma is very different to that of the k42 series
              looks like to make the best use of it a new INt-18 specific for this series of chip would be required , as tumbleweed has indicated ,
              also looks like the road microchip will take with more of it chips ?

Comment

I have used DMA on K42 and dsPICs, but not the Q43 as of yet. However, I intend to work it into a project I'm planning for the near future.

I just spent several hours looking over the PWM features of the Q43. Incredible!!! The PWM control puts the Q43 up into the class of a dsPIC for motor control and other PWM applications. I LIKE!!

Comment

yes has many features that look impressive , be so great if microchip expanded the offering to 64pin and or 80pin , love to see greater than 128k , but wishfull thinking , pricing structure is attractive from the looks of it

Comment

My comment in post #6 has nothing to do with interrupts. Ram banking and the access bank location require a different memory allocation method.

Comment

As for the DMA, the Q43 has 8 DMA channels. Addressing the associated Registers is done through generic one-size-fits-all DMAn... Registers. You have to select which DMAx you are wanting to change through the DMASELECT. If you want to work with DMA1, configure DMASELECT = 0. For DMA6, DMASELECT = 5, and so forth. Other than that, DMA on the Q43 is about the same as any other PIC.

Comment

Nice chip!
                        I wonder how long it will take before Microchip finally releases a new 8-bitter with QEI-module. They're churning out new series by the month it feels like but there's still exaclty ONE series of 8-bit PIC containing that particular peripheral and it's quite dated (and expensive).

Comment

is there any a chance to see updates to support this series of chip in PBP this year charles ?

Comment

Yes, I think so.
                            Charles Leo
                            ME Labs, Inc.
                            http://melabs.com

Comment

that is great to hear charles , look forward to the release

Comment

Working...
                              X