Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBP3, Where are my HEX files?

I updated to PBP 3.0.5 and have this issue:

It shows that compiles the program, but no HEX, LST etc files are generated.

The PBP3 is installed on D:\Program Files(x86) on a system with SSD disk as C: main system disk and Windows 7-64bit.

Search the entire system but hex files are nowhere to be seen!

Any help appreciated.
    Ioannis

During installation, did you also install MicroCode Studio or MicroCode Studio Plus with 3.0.5? Which are you using?

Did the failure occur immediately after installing 3.0.5? Or did you compile successfully at least once after installation?
    Charles Leo
    ME Labs, Inc.
    http://melabs.com

Comment

Hi Charles. Thanks for the reply.

I have recently updated my Windows on my laptop to Win 7-64 bit. Also got a new office desktop PC with same OS and disks like this: System disk is an SSD, with a RAID 0+1 mechanical disk array as D:.

On my laptop I have 3.0.4 and works fine. On my desktop with the SSD I have 3.0.5 with the problem.

The update was done only on the PBP3. Since I had MCSX installed on the first PBP3 installation I did not re-installed. It is the Microcode Studio. Not the Plus.

On the good working laptop I get this after compilation:

PICBASIC PRO(TM) Compiler 3.0.4.4, (c) 1998, 2011 microEngineering Labs, Inc.
      All Rights Reserved.
      [ASM WARNING] ONETOUCH-I2C_V2.ASM (29) : Found label after column 1. (Line1)
      [ASM WARNING] ONETOUCH-I2C_V2.ASM (30) : Found label after column 1. (Line2)

On the desktop which does not produce the hex file:

PICBASIC PRO(TM) Compiler 3.0.5.4, (c) 1998, 2012 microEngineering Labs, Inc.
      All Rights Reserved.

It gives no warnings.

Ioannis

Update: I have just installed 3.0.5.4 on the laptop without the MCSX and works OK.
      Last edited by Ioannis; 03-29-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

We've encountered a few cases where these symptoms were caused by a registry problem in the Mecanique keys. Before I direct you to the registry, though, I'd like to try a less drastic fix.

Close all the files in MCSX, then close MCSX. When you launch MCSX again, the only tab in the editor should be "untitled.pbp". (If any other file shows, stop there and let me know.)

If you then open your program file, do you still have the same lack of compile response?
        Charles Leo
        ME Labs, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Charles.

Will test this tomorrow as it is late in the evening now.

On my home laptop one, it does work OK and I did make the exact same things.

Ioannis

Comment

OK, I did as you suggested. Indeed when I restart the MCSX after all open files are closed, the only one is Untitled.

Opening my file results in the same effect. Seems to compile but no files are created.

Also on the status bar right down the of the Results window, it says: 'Success:2013 words used.' as expected.

Ioannis

Comment

I need to confirm what you are seeing...

When you click the Compile button, nothing happens, correct? There is no evidence that the compiler or the assembler are being called into play?

Do you have a convenient way to test outside of MicroCode Studio? Can you compile using MPLAB, or compile from a command prompt?

Are you familiar with REGEDIT in Windows? If so, I would like to know what values are listed in the registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecaniqueUK\MCS_5000\FileHistory
              HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MecaniqueUK\MCS_5000\FileItems

In some cases, deleting these keys has solved similar problems. Before you delete, though, please record what you see listed in these keys or export them and attach to an email to [email protected].
              Charles Leo
              ME Labs, Inc.

Comment

Hi Charles.

When I hit compile, it finishes quickly, without opening the small MPASM window.

But it shows on the bottom of MCSX window Result:2013 words used.

I can try within MPLAB or in command prompt and post the results.

I am very familiar with Regedit. No problem to use it.

Will report tomorrow for the above.
                Ioannis

Comment

Hi Charles.

Here are the FileHistory and FileItems in Registry.

Ioannis

Click image for larger version

Name:	FileHistory.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	5173Click image for larger version

Name:	FileItems.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	5174

Comment

I don't see any indication of problems, but let's complete the test. Shutdown MicroCode and delete the FileItems and FileHistory keys. Test the compile afterwards. Any difference?

Are you able to compile from MPLAB or from a command-line?
                    Charles Leo
                    ME Labs, Inc.

Comment

Hi Charles.

Well, I tried the first suggestion to delete the Registry Keys with the same result.

Then from a command line and stil does not invokes the assembler. No files are created.

Here are the results from the Command Line window:

Code:
                      Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
                      Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

D:\>cd D:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3\

D:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3>pbpx -p16f628 -aMPASMWIN blink.pbp
                      PICBASIC PRO(TM) Compiler 3.0.5.4, (c) 1998, 2012 microEngineering Labs, Inc.
                      All Rights Reserved.

D:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3>
                      It finishes exactly as in MCSX.

Just for testing, I have checked the Use MPASMX Assembler checkbox an it returns no error, although I have not installed the MPLABX...

Ioannis
                      Last edited by Ioannis; 04-02-2012, 05:31 AM.

Comment

This may not be the problem that I thought it was.

Let's concentrate on the command line test.

Windows 7 doesn't like for the source program file to be in the "Program Files(x86)" folder. Please move the blink.pbp file into a folder outside of Program Files. If you put it in "D:\TEST", then your commands would look like this:

Code:
                        D:\>cd D:\TEST
                        D:\TEST>"D:\Program Files (x86)\PBP3\PBPX.EXE" -p16f628 -aMPASMWIN blink.pbp
                        It would be best to perform this test after a system-restart. If the same no-response/no-files result is encountered, check in your Task Manager under Applications and Processes. Is PBPX listed as a running process? If it is, it indicates that PBPX is hung during execution.
                        Charles Leo
                        ME Labs, Inc.

Comment

Hi Folks, I hate to butt in ,but I had this same problem and I uninstalled PBP3, deleted the folders and the reg keys. I reinstalled everything and it has been working fine ever sense.
                          Regards CharlieM

Running PBP3 Gold
                          MCSPX

Comment

Hi Charles.

I did the test. Even in root directory the problem persists.

Tried, in vein, re-instalation of both PBP3 and MCSX.

@Charliem. Thanks for the input. Will try your suggestion if everyhing else fails.

Ioannis

Comment

What happens when you run the PBP Activation Manager?

Start > All Programs > PBP3 from melabs > Activation Manager

Does it run and show the correct activation status?
                              Charles Leo
                              ME Labs, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                              X