MELoader and 16F886

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MELoader and 16F886

We have two 886's to use with PICBasic. Is there a bootloader file we can download to them and from then on click on program chip in PICBasic?

If you have MicroCodeStudio Plus (which will be the software in which you click on anything) it comes with a built in bootloader application (MC Loader, (MicroCode Loader)) and a bunch of premade bootloader .hex files for various devices, the 16F886 being one of them, There's are files for 4MHz and for 20MHz.

/Henrik

Comment

Henrick Olsson

Okay. Let's work on getting Charles too make that a little clearer. The one or two times I looked for a manual to do that I found nothing.

Comment

Henrick

https://www.mecanique.co.uk/shop/ind...&product_id=64

Microcode Loader for 10 pounds English money.

Finding out if it will integrate into Student edition and Chuck Hellebuyck Demo PICBasic.

Finally! Get off the launching pad with PICBasic!

Comment

Microcode Loader does not support '886 but that is okay.

Recognize a few PIC's it does support from devices in the two free compilers mentioned above.

Hard to find a bootloader with good support.

Very hard. Unless I don't know what I'm doing.

Comment

I am quite sure that UMCLoader from Mecanique will allow you to generate a boot loader file for what ever 16F, 18F Pic you have.
            Dave Purola,
            N8NTA
            EN82fn

Comment

David

Are we talking about the same thing?

Microcode Loader they sell for 10 pounds and UMC loader?

Comment

PicBasicUser, I assumed it came with the MCLoader package, I worked with David quite a few years ago with a few bugs in the assembler code. I have been using it for about 5 or so years. I use it because I can write a boot loader for any PIC I wish. I have written boot loaders for the second comm port on 18F26K22's and 18F46K22's. Look in the installed directory of MCLoader and see it there is a directory called UMC. All of the instructions should be there.
                Dave Purola,
                N8NTA
                EN82fn

Comment

David

Sent you a PM about something forum would not be interested in.

So you sound pretty experienced. Mechanique bootloader is stable good working bootloader.

Mechanique has premade boot files and interface (program) so I am paying @$10 for ready to use bootloaders?

But your saying 'do it yourself' with free MCLoader in PICBasic?

Is MCloader in Microcode loader? I have not bought that yet

Comment

I was having David Barker write me code to do different things and he sent me the UMC Bootloader files. I belaive you can get them from the Proton web site.
                    Dave Purola,
                    N8NTA
                    EN82fn

Comment

David

I better stick with ready made bootloader.

That will be enough for me just programming it into PIC and testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PICBasicUser View Post
                        Microcode Loader does not support '886 but that is okay.
                        <...snip...>
                        What?

I've got MicroCodeStudio Plus version 5.0.0.5 It comes with MicroCodeLoader 5.1.0.2.
                        With it comes pre-built .hex files (163 of them to be precise), two of which ARE for the 16F886. I'm sure Mecanique just haven't updated the MicroCode Loader website. If you're considering getting MicroCodeLoader you COULD ask them to verify that it comes with pre-built file(s) for the 16F886.

And if you have a device that is NOT supported you CAN assemble your own using the UMC version as DavidP suggests. I started down that road when the Amicus Loader stopped working on W10 but I never got as far as knowing what I was doing so I resorted to the PICKit3.

/Henrik.

Comment

Henrik

I was just going by Supported Devices on MIcrocode Loader Page at Mechanique.

When you say UMC version do you mean Tiny Boot loader?

Tiny Bootloader only had 3 PIC's in dropdown device box. Is there a more complete list for that too?

It did support 16F877. Version A I think. Chuck Hellebuyck PICBasic free demo supports 16F87x's.

I want to Support David Barker and get his bootloader.

Comment

Came to my senses about this. Will just compile. Program PIC with PICBasic hex.

Just remembered the Serial port/USB connections with bootloader quagmire.

Compiling and second step programming will be fine for now.

Comment

No, I don't mean Tiny Bootloader. I mean MicroCodeLoader in "UMC mode" with a .hex file in the PIC that you build yourself using a template and software supplied with MicroCodeLoader (if you can figure out how).

What type of programmer do you have? If the software for the device programmer has a command line interface and you're using MicroCodeStudio as your IDE you can set it up to compile, assemble, and program the device with a single click - instead of launching the booloader, it launches the programmer software and programs the device. Done.

I did a small writeup on how to use the PICKit3 with the "new" MPLAB IPE from within MicroCodeStudio.

Comment

Working...
                              X