MPASMX Error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPASMX Error

Moved to a new machine. Got everything going in M.C.Studio but 'compile/program' throws an "Error: Unable to execute MPASMX". Where would I find this and where would I put it?

If it's a new install, you need to install the latest MPLABX software available from MicroChip.
    Dave Purola,
    N8NTA
    EN82fn

Comment

Well I believe I got a prompt to download that but don't know where it is or where to put it once I find it.

Comment

It should have placed it in the folder: C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLABX\ in a folder with the revision.
        Dave Purola,
        N8NTA
        EN82fn

Comment

This is also where you need to point the assembler directive to in PBP.
          Dave Purola,
          N8NTA
          EN82fn

Comment

To do that open MCS, View, then Compile and Program Options. There is a button for Find Path Manually.
            We can crack this cotton PIC'n thang!

Comment

I think some clarification is needed for PBP 3.0 and later.

There are 3 things that have to happen when manually changing the assembler:
              • Install some form of MPLAB
              • Use PBP's setup utility to specify the location of the MPASM folder.
              • Select the type of MPASM in Microcode Studio
              Install MPLAB: PBP will work with either MPLAB 8.xx or MPLABX. If you aren't sure, download and install MPLABX as it supports the newest devices. http://www.microchip.com/mplab/mplab-x-ide

PBP's setup utility: Look in the PBP3 program group on your Start Menu for a utility program called MPASM-MPLAB Setup. You can also find the exe file in the PBP3 installation (PBP_MPASM_ Connector.exe). It will ask for administrator permission when you run it. Use the Browse button to locate the MPASM folder. The folder name is "MPASM Suite" in an MPLAB 8.xx installation, "MPASMX" in an MPLABX installation. You need to run this utility whenever you change assembler locations, including after you update MPLABX.

Set the type of MPASM: In MPLAB 8.xx, the MPASM executable is named "MPASMWIN.EXE". In MPLABX, it's named "MPASMX.EXE". When Microcode Studio invokes PBP, it passes along the name of the assembler exe file. In Microcode, click View > Compile And Program Options. Find the checkbox labeled "Use MPASMX Assembler". To specify MPASMX.EXE for a MPLABX installation, check the box. Leave it unchecked for MPASMWIN.EXE in an MPLAB 8.xx installation.

In recent PBP installers (2 years), this process should be somewhat automated. Run the PBP installer and install MPLAB when prompted at the end of the process. Restart the computer. The setup utility will run automatically upon the first restart after installation. Use the Browse button as described above. As long as Microcode isn't running when you pick the MPASM folder, the utility will set the type in Microcode according to the exe that it finds in the folder you select. (It can't change the Microcode setting when Microcode is running.)
              Charles Leo
              ME Labs, Inc.
              http://melabs.com

Comment

Working...
              X