Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to PBP, looking for some feedback...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything works perfectly now, just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped.

one last question, the demo time expired on my desktop, so I went ahead and got the Silver... wanted the Gold, but due to some unforeseen and unfortunate financial issues Silver was pretty much all I could do at this time... so anyway, my Desktop were I do all my "sit down and program" stuff has a silver license, but my desktop refuses to talk to my pickit3... so I have to go over to my parents house and use my dads PC (seemed better than going to work...)
    and sometimes it is nice to program the pic, see how it works, make some adjustments, and then program the pic again and see how it works...
    in order to do that I installed PBP3 on his PC and it is currently running in demo mode...and that works great... but, eventually (5-10 days or so I think) that will run out...

I noticed Silver says it supports like 3 PC's, how exactly does that work? can I keep flip flopping the license back and forth between the 2 pc's as needed? can I just install the same license on both as it seems unlikely I would be able to use 2 PC's in two different locations at the same time?

Comment

You can use the same activation key on both computers.

When you no longer need to use the other computer, you can deactivate it and install it on another computer.
      3 computers can be activated simultaneously with the same key.
      PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
      Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Comment

it should be cmcon0 = 7
        My mistake, thank you for correcting that Richard!

/Henrik.

Comment

no problem henrik . I have posted the link to the "Flash, Damned LED! Flash I say!" video a couple of times ,I wonder if anyone actually watches it .
          for me just learning that portb.0 = 0 reads the entire b port first then sets bit 0 to 0 explained many bugs I had previously encountered .I never really expected that sort of behaviour . that rmw issue and the default analog settings seem to trip up every new comer to pic programing, not to mention getting the OSC right. maybe the pbp3 ide needs to be more like the arduino environment ,say default to alldigital

Comment

Hi,
            It's a good video and yes, analog peripherals not being disabled (causing RMW issues as a result) and understanding how to set the CONFIG bits is probably the two most common issues for people just starting out with PBP. With PBP3 the way you handle the CONFIG has been greatly improved though, thanks for that. The other "issue" isn't really an issue if you ask me.

Personally I wouldn't want the IDE or the compiler doing any thinking on its own, much better to default to what the datasheet for the device says it default to. It does do it a little bit of that it with the default CONFIG but it's easy to look up exactly what it does for each chip.

Darrels AllDigital include file should work fine for those who don't want to set a couple of registers. But then again, if you don't know that you have to set the ports to digital mode then having an include file or even a compiler command that does it for you makes no difference.....

Having it in the manual or in a Wiki on the forum probably doesn't make much sense either since it's been covered so many times and yet it comes back again and again. When you don't the problem you don't know what to look or search for. Ah, I don't know, I'm just rambling on.....

/Henrik.

Comment

just for the record, I think the "Learning Curve" of PBP is actually pretty easy...
              for the most part I would say my very first PIC/PBP project worked like 90% or so first try, the basic workieness was all there, just had a minor baud rate issue, and the CMCON register issue, but even with those two minor issues, it did work as such, the relays would click on when they should (they just clicked off sooner then they should of).
              over all it was a very positive experience.

I would highly recommend to anybody who was contemplating starting their first PIC/PBP project to go ahead do it... and there is an extremely helpful community and developer if help is needed... I just wish I started sooner... and I wish I new what I wanted to do for my next PIC/PBP project...

Comment

Working...
              X