PWM in PBP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWM in PBP3

I'm PWM'ing a a circuit with a PIC16FLF1823. I used the R/C circuit (10k, 1uF) in the manual but followed it with a MOSFET. I'm driving an LED with the MOSFET. The MOSFET's gate can be triggered with a very low voltage if necessary(a BSS138).
    I have a resistor on the source pin to 'plus' (I'm running this all at 3 volts) that meets the ohms necessary for the LEDs specs and the LED is common Anode (which receives the PWM).
    So I turn on the cathode of the color I want (it's an RGB) and hit the anode with the PWM but I don't get anything trying various cycles and duty.
    However, if I pulsout the pin I can get the LED to work but still quite dimly (I suppose that the cap isn't charging completely).
    Any ideas?-Keith

BSS138 is a Nch fet . so how are you driving the led anodes ? .
    post a schematic of your setup

Comment

Schematic for PWM'ing MOSFET. PWM pin drives MOSFET for LED Anode. 2nd pin drives cathode to zero.
      Attached Files

Comment

as I suspected , you need to use a Pch fet and swap the drain/source connections
        (hint the pwm will be reversed ie 0 pw = max bright ,100% = off)
        with the setup you are using how can get vgs high enough to turn the fet fully on . its not possible

Comment

Thanks Richard. Works like a charm. Didn't try PWM yet but with a pulse out, the LED is beautifully lit.

Pardon my ignorance but why is it I can't get that gate up high enough on the N-channel MOSFET on the first design? Thanks, Keith

Comment

hope this pic will upload to explain no vgs

sorry this forum is refusing to let me upload an image still!!!

lets say 10ma through led :-

led cathode .2 v (pic I/p sinking 10ma to low pin)
            led anode 1.8v (green led 1.6v vff)
            118 R = 2.98v ( vR = 1.18v)

pic gate output 3v ( vcc=3.3)

best vgs .02 v ie led barely lit
            Attached Files
            Last edited by richard; 07-13-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Got it. Thanks.-Keith

Comment

One more thing since I can't get PWM to work at the moment (pulsout worked); because the capacitors are polarized and now I'm using the P-channel MOSFET, do I need to reverse the cap and get a positive to the cap's + terminal?
                Can I use a non-polarized cap?-Keith

Comment

Keith, I'm rather confused as to why you have the cap there anyways? It is PWM that you want right? Putting the PWM signal thru a LOWPASS filter like you are it looks as though you are trying to generate a linear voltage on the gate.
                  Dave Purola,
                  N8NTA
                  EN82fn

Comment

I was thinking it would act as a 'sample and hold' for the voltage. Do you think it's unnecessary and I will be able to dim the LED without it because of the frequency of refreshing?
                    I want the LED to have a gradual intensity, no pulsation.-Keith

Comment

Well Keith, What is the PWM period? If it's above 60 Hz. it won't be noticeable to the eye. I only ask because it will be operating the FET in a linear mode which will dissipate HEAT.
                      Dave Purola,
                      N8NTA
                      EN82fn

Comment

Good point David. I'll see what it looks like without them.

Comment

David,that worked (without the caps) really well. Thanks,Keith

Comment

Working...
                          X