Getting PBP3 to work inside of Proteus VSM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting PBP3 to work inside of Proteus VSM

This is a quick video to show how easy it is to use PicBasic Pro 3.0 inside the Proteus Simulator.

http://support.melabs.com/DT/Proteus...oteusDemo.html
    PBP3 Manual : Microchip Datasheets - 10F, 12F, 16F, 18F
    Never download a PIC datasheet from anywhere but microchip.com

Thanks Darrel !
    Gary - W4GNS
    MicroCode Studio Plus 5.0.0.3 MCSPX
    PBP 3.0 Gold Edition 3.0.6.4

Tickled Speechless using PBP 3.0

Comment

Command line question

Darrel,
      On your video, which was extremely helpful, your command line only has the %1 before you start adding stuff. My command line has in quotes a path to an includes directory. Does it matter if that stays? Am I correct in assuming the -oq and -k# and mpasmwin come before that path?

Thanks again.

Comment

You should not have an includes path in the command line.
        The command line gets passed on to PBP and PBP doesn't have an includes path option.

Were you trying to edit an existing tool? Or did you click New to create a new one.
        I've never seen it add an include path when creating a New Code Generation Tool, but some of the existing assemblers do have them.

Comment

You called it

Sorry for the delay in responding. After several attempts I heard a large plop and figured out what I was doing wrong. Unfortunately the PIC I chose for my little blinky light program was the 12F683. I get an error saying it's unsupported and I need to contact MELabs. So, do I need to hear another plop or do I need a driver/whatever for the lowly 12f683?

Comment

Do you have "Use Compiler Long Words" checked in Compiler Program options ? If so you need to uncheck that, as it's for 18F series only
            Gary - W4GNS
            MicroCode Studio Plus 5.0.0.3 MCSPX
            PBP 3.0 Gold Edition 3.0.6.4

Tickled Speechless using PBP 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by Avionicsmaster1 View Post
              I get an error saying it's unsupported and I need to contact MELabs.
              What version of PBP do you have?

The 12F683 has been supported since PBP 2.45, and is currently supported in all editions of PBP3.

If you have PBP3, make sure it's up to date ... http://pbp3.com/download.html

And similar to what W4GNS73 said, If there is a -n option in your command line, it may be reporting that the 12F683 is not supported by PBPL.

Comment

The issue of support for the 12f683 was due to a missing p in the processor type. That and possibly having to put the project directory under the PBP directory. I need to look further at this issue as I tend to be well organized so I don't mix files.

Another issue I had was an error, several really, about having too many commands in the file name. It seems Proteus didn't like the spaces in the file name. If I named it demo, as in the video Darrel made, it would work fine. If I named it demo with 12f683 then I'd get several errors saying something about too many commands in file name. Removing the spaces seemed to solve the problem.

It is completely possible that I'm screwing something up and if that's true I hope not to earn much derision. I've had bonfires needing tending and haven't put in the time to be diligent at learning this program. I did get a blinky circuit with the 12f683 to work and I breathed a sigh once that happened. Thanks for you patience and support.

Comment

You should not have to put the projects under the PBP folder.
                  I keep mine in c:\ISIS\...

If you use spaces in your filenames or folders, you can put quotes around the "%1" in the Define Code Generation dialog.

Were there spaces in the path to where you were saving the projects before?
                  That may have been why you thought you had to put them under the PBP3 folder.
                  Wrapping %1 with quotes should fix it.

Comment

If only you had the answer for the meaning of life because you have the answer for just about everything else. Well at least you can answer whatever is thrown at you on this site. Yes, that fixed it or should I say allowed it to run wherever I decided to put the file.

Another question if I may. Do you normally write your program in MCSP and then cut and paste into the source editor? I've grown accustomed to MCS capitalizing stuff and I know MCSP now just colors it but I like writing a program while my editor is looking out for me by correcting, or highliting, my mistakes. Is that possible with ISIS?

Comment

Originally posted by Avionicsmaster1 View Post
                      If only you had the answer for the meaning of life ...
                      SEX!

---------------------------------------------------------

In ISIS, go to Source > Setup External Text Editor.
                      Click the Browse button and navigate to your MicroCode installation.
                      Select the CodeStudio.exe or CodeStudioPlus.exe program and click Open.

Then when you click on the source file in ISIS, it will open it in MicroCode Studio.
                      Be careful though. It opens a new instance of MicroCode Studio each time.

Comment

I'm sorry to resurrect this thread but for some reason my ISIS won't create the PBP file anymore. I followed your video, I think, verbatim. I get the window asking if I want to create the file and I respond yes but the PBP file isn't created. When I click on the file name it takes me to MCS displaying the last file I've used not the one that should have been created. I looked for the file thinking I just put it in the wrong place but it's not on the hard drive or any other drive.

This used to work. Is there anything in MCS that I could have done to cause this issue? Any other ideas?

Comment

When using Microcode as the External editor, it will not actually create the file.

ISIS sends the filename to Microcode, but MCS can't find the file and does not try to create files passed on the command line that don't exist.

Go to File > New ... and save the file in the correct folder.
                          The next time you open it from ISIS, it will exist and be opened in MCS.

When using the Internal Editor (which sucks) it would create the file.
                          Microcode Studio was not made to interface with ISIS, but it can with limitations.

If you are using Proteus 8, all of the above thread no longer applies.

Comment

Hi All,

I am looking to purchase Proteus 8 with the PIC 8 bundle.
                            I have read all available threads and posts regarding the use of Proteus with PBP3 but can't find anything specifically related to Proteus 8 apart from Darrel's statement "If you are using Proteus 8, all of the above thread no longer applies." So, my questions is this - how easy/difficult is it to set up Proteus 8 with PBP3 and Microcode Studio? Has anyone else done this configuration or will I be flying solo?

Cheers
                            Barry
                            VK2XBP

Comment

Hi Barry,

Proteus 8 has it's own internal editor now, and it doesn't allow you to specify an external editor.
                              So using Microcode Studio is pretty much out of the question.
                              It is possible, but it's a pain and not really needed, since the new editor in Proteus does the highlighting.

Proteus 8 requires a Plugin for PBP, which I have created.
                              So send me an email when you get Proteus 8.

At some point, the plugin will be included in Proteus.
                              But so far, they have not added it.

Comment

Working...
                              X