Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: U2 P'gmr "Target device does not match selected device" error

  1. #1

    Unhappy U2 P'gmr "Target device does not match selected device" error

    I have been using the U2 programmer to program several different 16F part numbers with no problems. Lately have been working with 16F886. Simple circuit and program to read 3 pots (0-5V) and display A to D readings on LCD. Program worked fine for 20 to 30 code changes (and reprogramming) but when I made a simple change got the "Target device does not match selected device" error. Replaced the 16F886 and all OK for a while then same error occurred. Tried a new chip, OK for a while then same problem. I guess i'm destroying the chips!! Using PBP default config with no #CONFIG block in my code.
    SO- Any idea on why I am burning up chips??
    Thanks
    Peter

  2. #2

    Static?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    I have been using the U2 programmer to program several different 16F part numbers with no problems. Lately have been working with 16F886. Simple circuit and program to read 3 pots (0-5V) and display A to D readings on LCD. Program worked fine for 20 to 30 code changes (and reprogramming) but when I made a simple change got the "Target device does not match selected device" error. Replaced the 16F886 and all OK for a while then same error occurred. Tried a new chip, OK for a while then same problem. I guess i'm destroying the chips!! Using PBP default config with no #CONFIG block in my code.
    SO- Any idea on why I am burning up chips??
    Thanks
    Peter
    I had this problem some time back. Two actions solved the problem I experienced. First when installing the device into the programmer or circuit, discharge all static by first touching a ground point to drain the static before touching the device. Next, in another programmer (not MeLabs) a 1 or 2 mFd cap across the chip power pins with short leads was needed for proper operation.

  3. #3

    Quote Originally Posted by J2017G View Post
    I had this problem some time back. Two actions solved the problem I experienced. First when installing the device into the programmer or circuit, discharge all static by first touching a ground point to drain the static before touching the device. Next, in another programmer (not MeLabs) a 1 or 2 mFd cap across the chip power pins with short leads was needed for proper operation.
    Hi, Peter S here. Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am good about static but, no, I did NOT have a bypass cap. As an EE I should know better.
    I'm not sure either of these caused my problems. I removed ALL IDE, compiler and programming tools and reinstalled them. I have not had the problem since and, JOY JOY, all my PIC's are programming and working fine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •