Interuptor to PIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interuptor to PIC

Using PBP3. I have a photo-interuptor PM-45 (attached data sheet) using the 'black' wire ('light-on'). I'm trying to interface to the PIC and I can't figure out proper output to the PIC's input to get the proper on signal to the micro.
    The 'load' is connected to +V and 'out' of the sensor.
    I hooked it up to power and used a meter on the load/V+. That works fine.
    Is a transistor necessary before the PIC input pin to interface?
    I'm using the PIC16F1823.

You don't say if you have pnp or npn version but either way a pull up/down resistor is necessary for the selected output
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Richard. I was thinking on those lines but unsure. Mine is the NPN version.

Comment

Just watch the power supply to the sensors. I see that they are able to be powered by 5 > 24 volts. Make sure that the sensors are powered by the same supply as the PIC.
        Dave Purola,
        N8NTA
        EN82fn

Comment

Thanks David. Yes they share the same power supply as the PIC at 5 volts.

Comment

So in the same vein, the sensor is output to the PIC and the PIC in turn is outputting to a solid-state-relay in my circuit. My relay is the G3VM-31ER(TR05). On page 2 of the data sheet (attached), I am using connection 'A'.
            On page 3 we see a schematic and turn-on and turn-off times. Is this using the same idea of a pullup as in the sensor? The relay out is working with a different voltage than the sensor and rest of circuit (12 V). If indeed this is a pull-up I need, I assume it would go to the 12V supply, yes?

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...zzzERzz_DS.pdf
            Last edited by Keith55555; 6 days ago.

Comment

If indeed this is a pull-up I need, I assume it would go to the 12V supply, yes?
              no way

the input to the device is a led diode , with a forward voltage of 1.18 to 1.48 volts typ 1.33v
              to turn the dev on the led needs a current of 5 to 25 mA typ 10 mA
              a series resistance is employed to limit the led current to this range when energized by your triggering device
              r = (v trigger - v diode) / current
              ie r = (5v - 1.48 )/ 10mA = 352 ohms
              Last edited by richard; 6 days ago.

Comment

Yeah, I got that calculated and covered. I'm confused by the output. It doesn't look like it emulates a mechanical relay whereby you have an open circuit and then a closed circuit (or visa versa). I'm using pin 4 and pin 6. I'm using it for DC. Looks like 4 is ground and then there's half the load on 6 and power between the two. Don't get it.

Comment

I'm using pin 4 and pin 6. I'm using it for DC.

that's mode A the least optimum for dc loads

mode A is ac/dc and is not polarity conscious, has highest "contact" resistance
                  mode B is polarity conscious, has lower "contact" resistance
                  mode C would have the lowest switching loss for a dc load ie. least "contact" resistance, but it is polarity conscious

the input and output are optically isolated

Comment

Yes, I chose the AC alternative for a reason and can tolerate the 'on' ohm-age. My real question was did the output behave as a mechanical relay behaves (interrupt a circuit with the output pins and have it 'close' once the LED was activated). I decided to bite the bullet (I initially was fearful of damaging the output) and do just that with a simple LED circuit turning the relay on and off with the PIC. Happily, it does behave the way expected. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X