Byte variables assigned to Bit variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Byte variables assigned to Bit variables

What determines the value of a bit variable when it is given the value of a byte variable, such as when porta.0=<byte variable>. How is the value of porta.0 determined?

portd.0 CAN only be 0 or 1

the compiled asm code will look like this the value of varxxx bit 0 is all that is is considered
    if (((_varxxx) & 007fh) <= 0bh)
    CHK?RP _PORTD
    btfsc _keys, 0
    bsf _PORTD, 000h
    btfss _keys, 0
    bcf _PORTD, 000h
    else
    CHK?RP _keys
    rrf _keys, W
    CHK?RP _PORTD
    btfsc STATUS, C
    bsf _PORTD, 000h
    btfss STATUS, C
    bcf _PORTD, 000h
    endif

Comment

Without objection, I take that to mean, simply, that the bit variable takes on the value of the LSB of the byte variable.

Comment

not sure exactly what you are saying

a bit var WOULD be LED0 var BIT
        a byte var leds var byte
        porta.0 is not a var as such but bit 0 of sfr porta

so for a proper bit var or bit0 of a register

leds = 1

led0 = leds would set led0 to 1

porta.0 = leds would set porta.0 to 1

porta.0 = led0 would set porta.0 to 1

leds =3

porta.0 = leds would set porta.0 to 1

leds = 2

porta.0 = leds would set porta.0 to 0

Comment

I guess a good place to start in answering your question is with a question; define "Value of...". When we consider the number systems used in software, there is binary where all digits are either 1 or 0; the decimal system where individual digits can be any number between 0 and 9; and the hexadecimal system which has a decimal range of 0 to 15, using characters 0 to F.

Individual pins of the PIC processor belong to a PORT, be it PORTA, PORTC, etc. Any decimal number ranging from 0 to 255 or hexadecimal range of $00 to $FF can reflect each pin of a PORT, but only visually understandable when converted to binary; %0000 0000 to $1111 1111. PORTx = %xxxx xxxx means that each bit in the binary reflects the state of a PORT pin. From there, you can convert the binary (%xxxxxxxx) to hex ($xx) or decimal (xxx).

If this doesn't make sense, search the internet for tutorials explaining the differences of our familiar decimal system and hexadecimal and binary.
          We can crack this cotton PIC'n thang!

Comment

I frankly don't know how to ask my question any more clearly than I did. Perhaps an example would be better.

Take for example: PORTA.0=128 (or any other decimal number that is within the bounds of one 8 bit byte: 0 to 255). What will the result of PORTA.0 be? One or zero?

Comment

I frankly don't know how to ask my question any more clearly than I did. Perhaps an example would be better.
              incorrect reference to a bit var in the original question did not help either

Perhaps if you explain what and why you are attempting

PORTA.0=128 makes little sense

if you mean to set the pin in a Boolean logic sense where low = zero and high is any value not = zero then perform the operation logically

PORTA.0 = PORTA.0 || 128 <==> PORTA.0=1
              ​​​​​​​ PORTA.0 = ​​​​​​​ PORTA.0 || byte-var <==> PORTA.0= !! byte-var

otherwise it will be performed bitwise using bit0
              ​​​​​​​
              PORTA.0=128 <==> PORTA.0=0

Comment

Working...
              X